Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mastering Your Craft

This past weekend I attended the Mastering Your Craft Seminar hosted by Super-Talented Celebrity Photographers Mike Colon and Bob Davis. Some of their most recent celebrity weddings include Usher, Eddie Murphy, and Tony Parker & Eva Longoria! I have been so excited all week that I would finally get to meet these guys and they were awesome.

Mike's sense of humor alone would have been worth going to watch. He's really laid back and I could genuinely tell that he was really there to share his knowledge and to help us. I learned so much from him and not just things about photography. Some of the things he spoke on can be applied to life in general and I am very grateful that I was able to attend.

Mike also felt the need to use me in a few lighting demonstrations. I got to hold his flash up high while they created a mock first dance. Yay for me, I got to hold Mike Colon's flash! Seriously, I was embarrassed because I turned his flash the wrong way after he had fixed it and he told the class (after trying to fire his flash numerous times with no success), that the speakers he usually sits his flashes on at weddings don't usually turn the flashes around! Everyone laughed at me and I was totally embarrassed. It was all in good fun though... hopefully!

I don't know what I can say about Bob. His technical skills go way beyond that of any photographer that I know. He has had his images published in Time magazine and he shoots work for Oprah all the time. His ability to not only capture the moment, but tell a story is what separates him from the rest. His philosophy is one that I plan on working harder on in my own work.

There are 2 dates left on their tour, both in California. If you are able to attend this workshop you should!



Oh yeah, while I was in Dallas this weekend I was able to catch the Oscars from my hotel! How about the Coen brothers? They came up big winning for Best Picture, Best Achievement in Directing, & Best Writing-Screenplay for No Country for Old Men! I felt that Juno was snubbed, and should have won in a few more categories. John Stewart was hilarious though and he made the Oscars all worth watching!

**EDIT...

Here are a couple of shots I pulled from Mike's blog! After ruining Mike's flash demonstration, he decided torture me more by puting me behind the lens. That's Bob holding the video light over my head, haha.


5 comments:

Pat said...

You are stoked, I bet that was a killer seminar.

Anonymous said...

Was I! I had a blast, well money spent :)

chris wineinger said...

Dude! Look at you blowin up Colons' blog! you are literally in the spotlight!

Carolyn said...

OMG what an awesome opportunity!!!

Hope you learned lots!

Anonymous said...

that's great dude!